|Size/Type:||Medium Humanoid (Gnoll)|
|Hit Dice:||2d8+2 (11 hp)|
|Speed:||30 ft. (6 squares)|
|Armor Class:||15 (+1 natural, +2 leather armor, +2 heavy steel shield), touch 10, flat-footed 15|
|Attack:||Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+2/×3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/×3)|
|Full Attack:||Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+2/×3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/×3)|
|Space/Reach:||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Qualities:||Darkvision 60 ft.|
|Saves:||Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +0|
|Abilities:||Str 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8|
|Skills:||Listen +2, Spot +3|
|Organization:||Solitary, pair, hunting party (2-5 and 1-2 hyenas), band (10-100 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults and 1 leader of 4th-6th level and 5-8 hyenas), or tribe (20-200 plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 1 leader of 6th-8th level, and 7-12 hyenas; underground lairs also have 1-3 trolls)|
|Alignment:||Usually chaotic evil|
|Advancement:||By character class|
Gnolls are hyena-headed, evil humanoids that wander in loose tribes. Most gnolls have dirty yellow or reddish-brown fur. A gnoll is a nocturnal carnivore, preferring intelligent creatures for food because they scream more. A gnoll is about 7½ feet tall and weighs 300 pounds. Gnolls speak Gnoll.
Gnolls like to attack when they have the advantage of numbers, using horde tactics and their physical strength to overwhelm and knock down their opponents. They show little discipline when fighting unless they have a strong leader; at such times, they can maintain ranks and fight as a unit. While they do not usually prepare traps, they do use ambushes and try to attack from a flanking position. Because of its shield, a gnoll’s modifier on Hide checks (untrained) is -2, which means gnolls always take special care to seek favorable conditions when laying ambushes (such as darkness, cover, or some other form of advantageous terrain).
Gnolls As Characters
Gnoll characters possess the following racial traits.
- Strength +4, Constitution +2, Intelligence -2, Charisma -2.
- Size Medium.
- A gnoll’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A gnoll begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +0.
- Racial Skills: A gnoll’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Listen and Spot.
- Racial Feats: A gnoll’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
- +1 natural armor bonus.
- Automatic Languages: Gnoll. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Orc.
- Favored Class: Ranger.
- Level adjustment +1.